How can you tell someone is British? For me, it’s dressing entirely inappropriately for the weather. I’m not a fan of shorts so despite the 90 degree weather over in the south, I’m often seen wearing heavy boots and jeans. It’s scientific fact that wearing hot clothes on boiling days also reduces the amount of fat stored in ones body lumps.
But what other ways can you tell someone is British?
Here are the top 10 from that list I picked out whilst dunking my biscuit in me tea…
- Asking them if they are okay, and they reply “can’t complain”.
- You get in their way and they apologize to you.
- When I was in London (I’m American) some British folks told me you can spot a Brit because they wear black socks. All of us looked down and were in white socks. Awkward.
- Call their friends and peers “Cock”. At least in the North they do.
- Strong opinions about queuing. Also, calling it queuing.
- The British people in my expat community always use the expression “half 8” meaning 8:30. I don’t know non British people that say that. This seems to surprise them all.
- When they say they’re getting “pissed” and it doesn’t mean “angry.”
- Worked in a theme park in Florida during college. British people are pasty white in the morning and beat red by 3pm. You can spot them a mile away.
- They ask you and everyone else in the office how you like your tea, and never ask again as they’ll remember it forever.
- When you catch their eye in public, they’ll pretend to be looking for somebody else in every other direction.